Thursday, March 16, 2006

Here I am...and there you are.

OK, OK, I know it's been over three months since my last post. My only excuse is that I felt like I had nothing to say that wasn't already being said over at my wife's superior blog, Em's daily dirt. But the time has come for me to mouth off again, this time about my (and my wife's) new obsession - snowboarding. I went snowboarding for the first time last weekend and that's all it took. I bought a pair of boots last night so I can avoid the horrific rental scene up at Snoqualmie for my second lesson this weekend. Last week they didn't have my size in boots or boards. And I think one of the boots had dog poop on it.

Despite the poor equipment, I still found myself oddly enraptured with snowboarding. I have been a skier for nearly 20 years (though to be fair, I've been going about once every five years for a decade), so it is going to take some time to get my brain re-oriented (by 90 degrees) to the logistics of snowboarding. This early in the game, two things about snowboarding have me intrigued:

  1. I think it's going to be much better for my aging body, once I learn how to not crash all the time.
  2. Getting all-new snowboarding equipment is far cheaper than getting the all-new skiing equipment I so desperately need.

So there you have it. I used to mock snowboarders as insolent whelps always mucking up the slopes for the skiers. And now, 15 years later, here I am becoming what I so despised. Oh well. I never claimed not to be hypocritical.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home